Monday, May 14, 2012

Every Time!

I am so conscious and cautious of foods in most circumstances. In a restaurant I always check, double check, triple check and take the first few bites slowly, noticing any signals of a reaction. I read labels at the grocery store and don't compromise on mystery ingredients like "spices" and "natural flavorings". I even double check labels of things I use all the time in case they change the ingredients.

Every once in a while I slip and something comes in under the radar. This afternoon I started feeling off: sniffly, watery eyes, stomach cramps. It came on too quickly to be a virus so I started backtracking my foods to see if I could have made a mistake somewhere. No time for breakfast this morning and lunch was leftovers from dinner last night, which was a simple recipe I use often and I knew was clean. The only other thing I'd had today was a cup of tea-a new tea I'd ordered online. I had read the label which said it was a blend of green & white teas but I didn't bother to check the complete ingredients list which shows "flavoring" as one of the ingredients. I don't know if it's the mystery "flavoring" or the rosebuds also listed (which I try to avoid because certain flowers including roses make me sneeze). I'm guessing it's the rosebud as a nightshade would likely have caused a more serious reaction but the lesson is the same. NEVER assume. Never take it for granted that something is safe.

So on this beautiful afternoon that I promised my son a trip to the park, I am instead trying to fight the Benadryl drowsiness while I sit sniffling and sneezing on the couch, the seat nearest the bathroom for when the stomach upset hits. And I'm thankful because at least I didn't have to call 911 this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment