Saturday, June 16, 2012

Gluten Free Berry Shortcake

My wonderful family went all out last night to make me an awesome birthday dinner. On the menu: steaks with sautéed onion, mushroom & garlic, baked sweet potatoes, salad with tons of veggies and Berry Shortcake.

My mom was pretty excited when called to tell me the Bisquick now makes a GF blend. Unfortunately, she didn't notice that it does contain potato starch and the biscuit recipe called for 3 eggs. I told her not to worry, I would find a safe recipe and pick up the ingredients. I found one that looked pretty good and only required 1 egg. Typically, when substituting eggs in a recipe, the more eggs in the recipe the more you notice the substitution. I just needed to stop & pick up some Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer. It's the only one I've found without potato starch. I tried 4 different stores including 2 GF specialty stores and no one had it.

While scanning the shelves for another option I found Bob's Red Mill Biscuit Mix---no potato starch, no eggs required. Add butter & milk (or water). Perfect!

My birthday dessert was saved! Here's how we did it:

We used strawberries, blueberries, raspberries & blackberries. We kept them separate so everyone could choose their own mix. Slice strawberries and sprinkle a little sugar on them. Put in the fridge for a few hours. This creates a syrup without cooking them down.

Make the biscuits according to the directions on the package & whip up some heavy whipping cream. I used vanilla rice milk in the biscuits and no sugar in the whipped cream.

Too easy! So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment