Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Asian Spiced Pork Tenderloin with Red Cabbage

There are a few bonuses to having tricky multiple food allergies.  One of the big pluses is that I have learned to be a very creative cook.  I am always looking for good recipes that I can modify to suit my Nightshade Free diet.  This one was a big hit with my husband.  He loves pork tenderloin but honestly, it's not my favorite so I usually don't make it.  I'll definitely make this one again.  I got the original recipe from Food Network and modified it to eliminate peanut oil and changed the slaw quite a bit based on another recipe I have used in the past.

Here it is.  I hope you enjoy it and I always love to hear other twists you might put on it!

Ingredients:
1 Pork Tenderloin
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp Chinese 5 Spice Powder (traditionally nightshade free but ALWAYS double check the label!)
salt & pepper
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp tamari
1 tsp mirin
juice 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp sesame oil
thinly sliced red cabbage (about 2 cups)
1 small red onion thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1 red apple, washed and thinly sliced

1)  Preheat broiler to high and position oven rack 1 level below the top rack

2)  Rub tenderloin with oil, then rub with 5 spice powder and season with salt and pepper.  Place on broiler pan and roast about 10 minutes on each side or until outside browns and meat thermometer reads 150.  Let sit 5 minutes before slicing.

3) While meat is cooking heat remaining sesame oil in a skillet on med heat.  Add cabbage, red onion and apple and sauté until soft.

4) While cabbage sautes, whisk together rice wine vinegar, tamari, mirin and lemon juice.

5) When cabbage is done (some like it barely heated, some like it very wilted - it's up to you!  It could also be kept raw and tossed with the dressing) remove from heat and stir in vinegar mixture.

This recipe serves 2-3.  Serve with rice or a side of crusty french bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment